Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Prima Donna No More

Sadly, I just read the news and the New York City Opera Company went on strike yesterday afternoon.  We probably aren't going to the opera after all.  This is devastating news to me, and I really wish I had found out yesterday, before I ordered this whole ensemble.

I have been in love with the idea of seeing Rufus's opera since I first learned that he had begun to write it in 2008.  My heart broke when I heard that the Metropolitan Opera, who comissioned the piece, had refused to stage it because Rufus would not write it in English.  I felt a glimmer of hope when I found out that Lincoln Center had agreed to stage Prima Donna, and I felt tears welling up in my eyes when I learned, only minutes ago, that I will still not be able to listen to and see this masterpiece.

Someday, I'll see it and someday it will be performed in the city it was written for, the greatest city in the world, New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...